This building used to be a convent belonging to the ‘Zwarte Zusters’ (‘Black Sisters’). After the reformation, the building was left unused and a protestant orphanage opened in its place in 1606. The current building on the Kloosterplein dates back to 1887. It was built in the Dutch Neo-Renaissance style.
Especially the interior of the two regent rooms are remarkable, one for women and one for men. The regents used to run the orphanage and they would have meetings in these elaborate rooms. The eighteenth-century interior of the other rooms has been reused in the new building.
The ceiling in the men’s regent room is decorated with wood carvings. The valuable multicolored wallpaper that covers the walls is made of gold and leather. The mantelpiece is richly decorated with wood carvings. The women’s regent room also has an elaborate wood carved ceiling decoration and a painted flower arrangement on the mantelpiece. It was painter J.H. Frederiks from Breda who painted the wall-hangings, depicting flower vases, in 1787. He was a former orphan.
All decorations were executed in line with the so-called “Louis” styles, named after the French kings Louis XIV, XV and XVI. The French influence meant these interior styles were very popular during the eighteenth century