The earliest mention of the original building in this location dates back to 1417. Jan van der Dussen owned this housing complex during the second half of the fifteenth century, hence why it was often referred to as ‘Huis van der Dussen’. His heirs split the building in two, dividing the original building into Huis Hersbeek and Huis Ocrum.
In 1513, the building was taken over by the Nassau family. They sold the destroyed remains after the fire in 1534. Huis Hersbeek must have been built shortly after. Traces of this time can be seen in the courtyard, including stone cross-windows and relieving arches. Huis Hersbeek is a ‘hofhuis’, meaning it was inhabited by important noblemen who worked for the Nassau family. It was named after one of its former residents.
Huis Hersbeek and Huis Ocrum were split and merged several times.
The building used to house English ambassadors who were involved in concluding the Treaty of Breda on August 24th 1667. The Treaty of Breda led to New-Amsterdam being signed over to the English, who eventually named it New York, and Surinam was given to the Netherlands in return. King Louis Napoleon briefly resided in the house as well in 1806.