The Sint Joost Chapel on the Ginnekenstraat is dedicated to the Holy Judocus. He was honored as a patron saint of pilgrims and against contagious illnesses. The chapel is still a popular destination among those on pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostella.
The chapel was built during the first half of the fifteenth century when it was connected to a Fraternity of Sint Joost. A cemetery was inaugurated at the chapel in 1518, initially meant for local residents however mostly used later on for those who lived in poverty, committed suicide, convicted criminals and other rejects.
This cemetery was in use until 1827.
In 1821 the chapel was turned into a residential building however it went back to being a church after World War II. The bishop of Breda at the time, Mgr. Hopmans, promised to build a chapel honoring the Holy Mary in 1943 if Breda was saved from serious destructions. After the Liberation, the council offered up the Sint Joost Chapel for this purpose. Renowned Breda architect Frans Mol made the renovation plans, including an entirely new choir. The new artworks were created by local artist Niel Steenbergen and the new chapel was initiated by the bishop on May 3d 1947.
Now situated in the middle of a busy shopping street, this chapel is one of the most popular places for locals to come and light a candle.